North Central businesses interested in starting or expanding their business can take advantage of the small business assistance services available through the North Central Massachusetts Chamber of Commerce.
Training Sessions & Workshops
The North Central Massachusetts Chamber of Commerce, the North Central Development Corporation and our local economic development partners host bi-monthly training sessions geared towards both start-up and existing small businesses looking to expand. Throughout the year, the Chamber also offers workshops and seminars on different subject areas that are designed to help businesses grow. Topics in the past have included marketing, regulatory compliance, bookkeeping and more. Visit our calendar of events to view upcoming sessions and workshops.
Business Counseling Services
The North Central Massachusetts Chamber of Commerce also offers business counseling services through the Massachusetts Small Business Development Centers (SBDCs) and SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives). Both agencies provide FREE one to one management and technical assistance counseling for prospective and existing small businesses.
Counselors are available on the following days:
Mondays – Bob Aspell, SCORE Counselor
Tuesdays – Cheryl Miller, SBDC Counselor
To access this service just call 978.353.7600 and book an appointment.
Prior to meeting with a business counselor you may want to ask yourself the following questions:
- Has your idea been thoroughly thought out?
- Is your product or service needed in the marketplace?
- Where are you going to locate your business?
- Do you know who your customers will be?
- How much money will you need to get started?
- Do you have money to put in to start up this business?
- Have you begun to develop a business plan?
- If you are purchasing an existing business also ask the following:
- Have you asked why the business is selling?
- Have you seen the financial statements (3 years) on this business?
- Have you inspected the inventory and/or real estate?
As an extension of its micro-loan lending, the North Central Massachusetts Development Corporation also provides pre and post loan counseling to eligible small businesses needing guidance and assistance with their financing. Contact a member of the lending team at 978.353.7607 for more information.